Can I Get a Discount on My Council Tax?

Some discounts are available on your Council Tax, find out more below.

Council Tax Reduction (CTR)

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is sometimes called Council Tax Support, it's a reduction on your Council Tax bill and is available to people on a low income or receiving benefits and have savings less than £16,000. If you are in receipt of the Guarantee Credit of Pension Credit you may qualify even if your capital exceeds £16,000. Council Tax Reduction replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013. Find out if you qualify and what discount you could get from our Council Tax Reduction page.

Disabled Band Reduction Scheme

You may qualify for a discount on your Council Tax if your house:    

  • has a second bathroom or kitchen in order to meet the needs of a disabled occupant   
  • has a room set aside in order to meet specific needs of a disabled occupant 
  • has extra space inside it for wheelchair use

The property must be the main home of at least one disabled person. This could be a child or an adult - it does not have to be the person responsible for paying Council Tax.

If this applies to you then the amount of Council Tax you need to pay will be reduced to that of the band below your current valuation. For example if you live in a band D property and it has the above features then you will pay Council Tax as if it were in band C. You will still qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax if your property is in band A - the lowest band.

Family Annexe Discount

You could be eligible to a 50% discount on an annexe occupied by a family member. The occupier of the annexe will need to be related to the liable person in order to qualify for the family annexe discount.

If the annexe is occupied by a dependent family member then the annexe will be exempt from Council Tax. To find out more and apply, see our Exemptions page.

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate is a discount on Council Tax available to people of State Pension age. Find out if you qualify and what discount you could get from our Second Adult Rebate page.

Second Home Discount

You could be eligible for a 50% discount on your Council Tax if your second home is a pitch with a caravan on it or a mooring occupied by a boat. The 50% discount may also apply if you live in a particular property because your job or your partner's job requires it.

Severely Mentally Impaired Discount

A council tax discount may be available for those who are severely mentally impaired – in order to qualify for this discount, the person concerned must have a certificate of confirmation from a registered medical practitioner


the person must be entitled to (though not necessarily in receipt of) one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance (under Section 64 of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (formerly Severe Disablement Allowance)
  • the highest or middle rate of the care component of a Disability Living Allowance
  • the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • an increase in the rate of your disablement pension (where constant attendance is needed)
  • the disabled element of tax credits
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Unemployability Allowance or Supplement
  • Constant Attendance Allowance or Income Support including a disability premium.

The customer will need to supply proof of any qualifying benefit.

Any customer meeting these criteria is eligible to apply for a Severely Mentally Impaired discount on their Council Tax – please contact us to discuss further.

Single Person Discount

You may be eligible to a 25% discount on your Council Tax if you live on your own or if anyone you live with is 'disregarded' or not counted as an adult for Council Tax reasons. People who are disregarded or not counted as adults include:

A full list can be found at: Entitled To, People Who Are Disregarded for Council Tax

Does My Council Offer Any other Discounts?

Other discounts are at the discretion of your local council such as other discounts on second homes or empty properties. However, some councils charge more for long term empty properties.

Find out what your council offers below, if you don't know who your local council is visit: Gov.UK, Find Your Local Council