What Is Council Tax Reduction?

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is sometimes called Council Tax Support and it provides help for people on a low income. It replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013.

Council Tax Reduction schemes are run by local councils; as a result schemes will differ depending on who your council is. If you qualify for CTR you won't receive any payments but your Council Tax bill will be reduced instead, this could be shown as:

  • a percentage off your Council Tax bill
  • an amount off your Council Tax bill
  • a discount that is equal to the whole amount of your Council Tax – so that you do not pay anything

For 2017/18 the full details of each council's Council Tax Reduction Scheme can be found from the following links:

Who Is Eligible for Council Tax Reduction?

You may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction if you are on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings or capital (such as property). You can apply whether:

  • you own your home
  • you rent your home
  • you are working
  • you are unemployed
  • you are claiming benefits

Council Tax Reduction is means tested. This means that your income will be assessed - this includes savings, pensions and your partner's income. You will not be able to claim Council Tax Reduction if:

What Evidence Do I Need When I Apply?

When you apply for Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit, you will need to provide evidence to support your application. Find out what types of evidence you need from our Evidence Requirements page.

What Council Tax Reduction Could I Get?

The reduction you get will depend on your age, the income of any non dependants living with you and the scheme that your local council has in place, as a guide:

  • if you are of pensionable age or if you are a war pensioner of working age then you can receive a maximum of 100% off your Council Tax bill – so that you do not pay any Council Tax
  • if you are of working age the maximum discount you could receive is 91.5%, this means you will have to pay at least 8.5% of your Council Tax

If you receive other benefits such as those listed below, then you will be eligible for the maximum discount available:

  • income related Jobseekers' Allowance
  • income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • the guaranteed element of the Pension Credit

To check what discount you could be entitled to, use the online calculator

How do I claim Council Tax Reduction?

Go to Online Services to make a new claim immediately.

When Does Council Tax Reduction Start?

Normally we will start your claim from the Monday after we receive your application.