What Is a Valuation Band?

There are eight valuation bands in England (from A to H) and all domestic properties belong to one of them. The valuation band of your home is set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and is based upon what your house would have sold for in April 1991. The valuation band of your home will determine what your Council Tax charge will be.

The table below shows the valuation bands set by the VOA. You can also check your valuation band at Gov.UK, Check Your Council Tax Band

 Band Valuation
A Up to £40,000
B £40,001 - £52,000
C £52,001 - £68,000
D £68,001 - £88,000
E £88,001 - £120,000
F £120,001 - £160,000
G £160,001 - £320,000
H £320,001 and over

How Does My Council Set Charges for Each Valuation Band?

The charges for valuation bands differ throughout the country as local councils set the amount for their area. Your district/borough council will take various factors into consideration when deciding how much to charge, such as:        

  • how much money is needed for local services in your area        
  • any precepts from other authorities

A precept is when another authority (such as the police and fire authority or town or parish councils) asks your billing council to collect a certain amount of money on their behalf in order to provide their services. Your billing council will have no control over these precepts.

Once all these requirements have been factored in, your billing authority will calculate how much Council Tax needs to be charged to each property. They do this by working out an annual amount for a property in band D which is the average.

Properties in all the other bands will be charged a proportion of that band D amount depending on its relationship with it. For example, band A (the lowest band) pays 6/9ths (or two thirds) of the Council Tax for a band D property in the same area.

The table below shows each band and what proportion of band D that property is charged:


What proportion of band D this property is charged



How Do I Appeal My Valuation Band?

You can ask the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to check the valuation band of your property. If it is wrong, they will correct it. You can only challenge the valuation band that your property is in under certain circumstances, such as:       

  • if you have just become the new Council Tax payer for the property within the last 6 months
  • if there has been a significant physical change in your area that may affect your property's price (for example if a supermarket has been built nearby)

Any queries or challenges to your valuation band should be made to your local valuation office, these services are free. Anyone querying or challenging their valuation band should note that valuation bands can be increased or decreased.

For more information or to query or challenge your valuation band, see Gov.UK, Council Tax Appeals, Challenge Your Band

Payment of Council Tax should not be withheld even if you intend to appeal.