Other Discretionary Relief
Local Newspaper Relief
A discount of up to £1,500 is available for office space occupied by local newspapers. The discount is restricted to one discount per newspaper title and per premises. Local Newspaper Relief has been extended for an additional 5 years until 31.03.2025. Please contact us by email if you think you may be eligible for this reduction.
Local Discretionary Relief
Councils may award Discretionary Relief where it is in the interest if their Council Tax payers. Current schemes available:
Discretionary Rate Relief
Relief is available to help those most affected by the 2017 Revaluation. Each local authority has its own scheme to distribute relief in the fairest way possible, and those ratepayers believed to qualify have been sent an application form. Please contact us by email if you have not received this and think you may be eligible.
For full details of each council's agreed scheme, please click on the name of the council below:
2022/2023 (Retail Relief)
- Relief made available for occupied retail, hospitality and leisure properties of 50%, up to a cash limit of £110,000 per business.
- Eligible properties include those being wholly or mainly used as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas, or live music venues, or those used for assembly and leisure and as hotels, guest & boarding premises or self-catering accommodation.
- This relief also covers hereditaments providing certain services to visiting members of the public, as well as properties used for the provision of sports and leisure.
- Qualifying properties must be reasonably accessible to the general public and be wholly or mainly used to provide an in-person retail, hospitality or leisure service.
COVID Additional Relief fund
On 25 March 2021 the government announced a new COVID-19 Additional Relief Fund (CARF) of £1.5 billion. The fund will be available to support those businesses affected by the pandemic but that are ineligible for existing support linked to business rates.
Ratepayers who are eligible will be contacted directly to make their application.
Supporting Small Business Relief
Available where a business has lost some or all of its small business rates or rural rate relief as a result of the 2017 Revaluation. This will be applied to you account automatically if you qualify.
Nursery Discount - Relief for Non-Local Authority Childcare Providers
Properties that meet the eligibility for Nursery Relief will be occupied business assessments which meet all of the following conditions for the chargeable day:
- Providers on Ofsted’s Early Years Register
- Wholly or mainly used for provision of the Early Years Foundation Stage
Further guidance can be found by visiting Gov.uk - Nursery Relief.
If you are not eligible for this relief or wish to opt out, please email our office to provide further details.
Business Rate Relief for Public Lavatories
100% Business Rates Relief is now available for separately-assessed public toilets in England and Wales, including those being operated by local authorities. This relief applies retrospectively from 1 April 2020. Please contact us by email if you have not received this and think you may be eligible.