Pubs and Licenced Trade

In England and Wales, the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) works out your rateable value based on the annual level of trade (excluding VAT) that a pub is expected to achieve if operated in a reasonably efficient way.

This is called ‘fair maintainable trade’ and it’s based on:

  • the type of pub or licensed premises
  • the area it is in
  • the services it offers, for example food, gaming or televised sports screenings


The VOA also looks at rents and turnovers to work out the fair maintainable trade figure, then applies a percentage to work out the rateable value.

The percentages are agreed with the British Beer and Pub Association and they are in the VOA’s pub guide. Contact the VOA if you want to check the figures they are using or don’t agree with the figures being used.

You’ll need to provide details of turnover (excluding VAT) for all sources, such as liquor, food and gaming.

Pub Relief 2017-2018

Pubs in England with a rateable value of less than £100,000 may be eligible for business rates relief of up to £1,000 during the period 1st April 2017 to 31st March 2018.

Those premises which we believe may be entitled to this relief will be contacted by the Council.