Working From Home

You don’t usually have to pay Business Rates for home-based businesses if you:

  • use a small part of your home for your business, for example if when you are not working you use the room for domestic purposes (for example a spare bedroom)
  • sell goods by post


You may need to pay Business Rates as well as Council Tax if:

  • Your property is part business and part domestic, for example if you live above your shop
  • You sell goods or services to people who visit your property
  • You employ other people to work at your property
  • You have made changes to your home for your business, e.g. converted a garage to a hairdresser’s
  • You use the space exclusively for work purposes


Contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to find out if you should be paying Business Rates