Change of Circumstances

Moving Home

If you are moving you can let us know online - you will need to click on the 'Report a change of address' form which can be found in the  Online Services section of our website.

Other Changes of Circumstance

You must tell us if your circumstances change within one month of it happening. This also includes any change in circumstances of the people that live with you. If you don't tell us about any changes within one month then any increase to your benefit entitlement will be applied from the date you tell us (rather than the date the change happened).

A change could affect the amount of benefit you get paid. If you don't tell us about a change and you receive a benefit overpayment as a result, you will be responsible for paying it back, you could also face prosecution.

Some changes that may affect your claim could include:

  • Changes to your income (any wages, savings or a pension)
  • Changes to any other benefit you receive such as tax credits
  • Changes in the amount of rent you pay
  • Someone moves in or out of your property
  • You or a person in your household is temporarily absent from your home

  • The birth of a child, a child leaving home or any childcare costs

You can tell us about a change in circumstances in the Online Services section.

Temporary Absence from your home

If you, or someone living in your home, are absent within Great Britain, you may continue to qualify for Housing Benefit for up to 13 weeks under certain circumstances.

If you, or someone living in your home, are absent abroad, you may continue to qualify for Housing Benefit for 4 weeks under certain circumstances.

There are some certain circumstances in which this period can be extended. It is important you notify us of any temporary absence from your home.

Benefit Reviews

Payments of Housing Benefit are awarded to you continuously so that you don't need to fill in any renewal forms. We ensure our information is up to date using the following methods:

  • Cross checks with the Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenue &Customs
  • Visits to customers in their homes
  • Checking details with customers by phone

You must still let us know of any changes in your circumstances – it could affect your benefit entitlement.