Council Tax Appeals

You can appeal against your Council Tax, if (for example) you:

  • don't think that you are liable (either at all or over a given period of time)
  • disagree with the amount of discount, or
  • believe your property should be exempt.

You need to be the person whose name is on the Council Tax bill, or 'an aggrieved person' (for example, the administrator of an estate for someone who has died) to launch an appeal. If you are considering an appeal and want to discuss the issue, call 01842 756567

However, an appeal must be submitted in writing to: Council Tax, Anglia Revenues Partnership, Breckland House, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 1BT.

or complete our Council Tax Contact Form 

What Happens Next?

The council has two months to let you know its decision, from the date they receive your appeal. If your appeal is rejected, or if your council doesn't respond, you can take the matter up with the independent Valuation Tribunal Service

Payments Pending Appeal

If you have been served a demand notice, you must still pay what is specified on the notice, even if you have lodged an appeal – unless your appeal is against a penalty notice.  If your appeal is against a penalty notice, no amount is payable until after a decision has been made on the appeal.