Disabled Person(s), Severe Mental Impairment or Carers Discount

Disabled Band Reduction Scheme

The property must be the main home of at least one disabled person. This could be a child or an adult - it does not have to be the person responsible for paying Council Tax.

Check the Disabled Reduction Criteria to see if this applies to you. If you qualify the amount of Council Tax you need to pay will be reduced to that of the band below your current valuation. For example if you live in a band D property and it has the above features then you will pay Council Tax as if it were in band C. You will still qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax if your property is in band A - the lowest band.

Severe Mental Impairment Discount

In order to qualify for this discount, the person concerned must have a certificate of confirmation from a registered medical practitioner and the person must be entitled to (though not necessarily in receipt of) a qualifying benefit.

Download a certificate of confirmation which you can pass to your doctor.

Carers Discount

You may also qualify for a discount on your Council Tax if you are the carer for a person who is in receipt of benefit which qualifies. The person providing care must be resident within the same dwelling as the person being cared for and must be providing care for at least 35 hours per week.

However, you cannot claim this discount if you are a ‘disqualified relative’, such as a spouse or civil partner (married or unmarried), or the parent of a child (under 18 years of age).

To apply for a Disabled Band Reduction or Severe Mental Impairment or Carers Discount visit our Do it online page, choose your council and then select Apply for Discounts and Exemption.