Second Adult Rebate

You may be eligible for a Second Adult Rebate if you have a non-dependent adult living with you.

A non-dependent adult must:

  • be over 18
  • not be your partner
  • not have joint responsibility for paying Council Tax
  • not pay you rent
  • not be a joint owner or joint tenant with you
  • not be a licensee of the property
  • have a low income or be on benefits
  • not be classified as a disregarded person for Council Tax purposes

However, the different councils in our area run different schemes. Breckland, East Cambridgeshire and West Suffolk residents, Second Adult Rebate is only available for pension-age claims. Fenland and East Suffolk residents, Second Adult Rebate is available for both working-age and pension-age claims.

If you are eligible for a Second Adult Rebate You could get a discount of up to 25% off your Council Tax. The exact amount will depend on the gross income (income before tax or other contributions are considered) of the second adult living with you.

With Second Adult Rebate only the income of the second adult is considered. So, even if you don't qualify for Council Tax Reduction because you have an income of more than £16,000, you may still be eligible for Second Adult Rebate. You can view the Second Adult Rebate you may be entitled to here.

To apply for Second Adult Rebate please click on Do It Online, choose your authority, then click on the 'Apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction' button.