Students/Students Nurses/Apprentices Discount

Students and student nurses

If a property is occupied by full-time students only, the occupants are exempt  from Council Tax and there will be no bill to pay. If all the occupants, except one, are full-time students the Council Tax bill will be reduced by 25%. If there are two or more non-students in a property, no student discount will be allowed.

A full-time course is one that lasts for at least one academic year with a prescribed educational establishment or, in the case of educational establishments which do not have academic years, for at least one calendar year. Students must also be undertaking periods of study, tuition or work experience which together amount to an average of at least 21 hours a week.

In order to qualify for an exemption or discount, we will require a copy of a student certificate for all student occupiers. This needs to confirm the start and end date of your course and that you are undertaking a full-time course.

When you send us your student certificate(s), please advise us of the total number of occupiers living in the property.

If a student finishes studying one course and then starts a different course, no discount will be applicable for the period between the end of the first course and start date of the second.

Apprentices do not fall into the same category as students and, as such, are not exempt from paying Council Tax.

However, an apprentice living alone may be entitled to a 50% reduction to their Council Tax.

If there is another adult living in the property, the apprentice may be entitled to a 25% reduction in Council Tax.

No discount is available where there are two or more adults that are not disregarded is some way (see other disregards).

To qualify as an apprentice, you must be:

  • Learning a recognised trade or profession
  • Undertaking an NVQ or similar vocational qualification applicable to the role
  • Earning no more than £195 per week (gross earnings)


To apply for a Students/Student Nurses or Apprentices discount visit our Do it online page, choose your council and then select Apply for Discounts and Exemption.