What is Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is sometimes called Council Tax Support and provides help for people on a low income. It replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013.

Council Tax Reduction schemes are run by local councils; as a result schemes will differ depending on who your council is. If you qualify for CTR you won't receive any payments but your Council Tax bill will be reduced instead, this could be shown as, a percentage off your Council Tax bill, an amount off your Council Tax bill, a discount that is equal to the whole amount of your Council Tax – so that you do not pay anything. Full details of each council's Council Tax Reduction Scheme can be found from the following links:

Who Is Eligible

You may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction if:

  • You are on a low income and,
  • Are working age with less than £10,000 in savings or capital (such as property), or
  • Are pension age with less than £16,000 in savings or capital (such as property).

You can apply when you: own your home; rent your home; are employed; unemployed; and/or claiming benefits.

Council Tax Reduction is means tested. Your income will be assessed, including savings, pensions and your partner's income.

You will not be able to claim Council Tax Reduction if: your total savings and capital are more than the limits shown above (unless you are in receipt of the Guarantee Credit of Pension Credit); you are subject to immigration control (find out more at Citizens Advice, Are You Subject to Immigration Control?) or, you do not have the right to live in the UK (find out more at Citizens Advice, the Habitual Residence Test).

To apply for Council Tax Reduction please click on Do It Online and choose your authority.