Other Adults (Non-Dependants) Living in Your Home

Additional Adults living at your property

If there is an additional adult other than your partner living with you, such as a friend or family member, the amount of Housing Benefit may be reduced depending on their income. It is assumed that most adults living with you should contribute toward the rent and for the purposes of Housing Benefit are referred to as 'Non-dependants'. This means that you are not charging them rent, although they may contribute some money towards household bills.

Your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction will be reduced by a fixed amount depending on the individual circumstances of the non-dependant.

For more information:


When deductions are not made: