Tell Us About a Change

Our ability to make sure you get the right amount of benefit depends upon you providing us with accurate information.

The amount you are entitled to may change, if your personal circumstances change. You must tell us if any circumstances change that may affect your Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax Reduction including any change in circumstances of the people that live with you.

Examples of changes that can affect your award include: changes to your income (wages, savings or pension); changes in other benefits you receive such as tax credits; someone moving in or out of your property; a period of temporary absence from your property; a change to the amount of rent you pay; birth of a child or a child leaving home or any change childcare costs; and/or, moving home.

We carry out checks with the Department for Work and Pensions, HM Revenue and Customs, as well as doing home visits and telephoning, to ensure our information is accurate and up to date.

If you don't tell us about any changes, within one month of them happening, then any increase to your benefit entitlement will be applied from the date you tell us.

If you don't tell us about a change and, as a result, you receive too much benefit you will be responsible for paying it back and could be prosecuted.