Appeals - Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

If you disagree with a decision that has been made about your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, you can Contact us and request an explanation of how the decision was made, called a statement of reasons.

If you disagree with the reasons we provide you with, you can Contact us and ask us to revise a decision.

If you disagree with the revision, you can consider a formal appeal via the links below.

Please ensure you are appealing to the correct authority. Should you be unsure, you can check a recent Benefits or Council Tax letter where this should be stated.

Usually you have one month to challenge a decision (from the date shown on your original decision letter).

However, we can consider a revision or appeal up to 13 months after the decision was originally made, if you had a good reason for not querying it earlier (for example, you were in hospital).

Only the person receiving the benefit (or their representative) can query benefit calculations or challenge a decision.

Landlords and agents receiving benefit payments directly can only query who receives the payment. They cannot make appeals about the amount of benefit received.

Council Tax Reduction Guidelines

You can only appeal against your Council Tax Reduction calculation if you feel:    

  • the rules have been wrongly applied
  • the calculation of an overpayment is incorrect
  • an overpayment has been wrongly recovered