Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people in or out of work. It replaces six of the benefits and tax credits previously available. These are: Housing benefit, Income support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance and Tax Credits.

Universal Credit aims to make the move into work easier, as well as supporting people who are working and on a low income. Eligible people, get a single monthly payment direct to their bank account.

Universal Credit is currently available in all Anglia Revenues councils' postcode areas.  For further information, to see if you are eligible, and to apply, visit the government services website.

If you are exempt from claiming Universal Credit, you may need to claim Housing Benefit. You can find out more by visiting our Housing Benefit page.

Housing Benefit does not help towards housing costs if you own your home and pay a mortgage. Help is available through the Department for Work and Pension Support for Mortgage Interest Scheme.

Advice is available

You can find out more about Universal Credit and what it means for you by visiting Understanding Universal Credit. If you would like help or advice with you application you can contact Citizens Advice. The service provided by Citizens Advice is called 'Help to Claim'. More information about the service is available at Citizens Advice

Continuous Universal Credit and Council Tax Reduction

Your Council Tax Reduction is assessed based on your award of Universal Credit. This means that during an award of Universal Credit your award of Council Tax Reduction may increase, decrease or end.
If your Council Tax Reduction reduces to nil but you remain entitled to continuous Universal Credit and have a change in your circumstances which means you may qualify for Council Tax Reduction again, you should notify us using our 'Reopen Council Tax Reduction (Universal Credit Claimants only) form' by clicking on the council logo below to enable us to review your entitlement.